Wednesday, 21 February 2007

Happy Pancake Day (Yesterday!)



So, to celebrate Shrove Tuesday, I decided to make pancakes with the kids. I've successfully converted my husband to American pancakes, rather than the crepe-like English ones, so I happily bought some Canadian maple syrup (100% pure!!) in anticipation. I don't really like the English pancakes. There isn't enough substance there to hold my attention; they're too thin. I tried to make some, but they seem so rubbery to me. It's just not right!

I've got a fab recipe for "Fast and Easy Pancakes" that allow me to mix everything in the blender. Fun! With my recipe and maple syrup in hand, I set about to make some pancakey goodness.

Here are a few tips to help you make your Pancake Day a smashing success (next year):

1. Do not try to mix pancake batter and make blueberry sauce at the same time, with one child on either side of you.

2. While you remember not to do that, also remember that melting sugar on the stovetop does not make a syrupy concoction equal to light corn syrup. In fact, it solidifies on contact with a cold liquid.

3. Also while you are not doing this, don't leave the blender (containing half the ingredients needed for a scrummy pancake dinner) plugged in, without the lid, in close proximity to an over-eager 3 year old.

4. Don't forget that sugary, eggy milk makes floors, walls, ceilings, and hair sticky.

5. Melted sugar is hot. Do not touch it with your bare hands.

6. Once you start cooking the pancakes, don't forget that the bacon is cooking under the grill in the oven. Charred bacon doesn't go very well as any meal side-dish, especially pancakes.

Happy Pancake Day!

No comments: