Saturday, 3 March 2007

Everyone Worth Knowing? Are you serious?

Last weekend, I watched the muchly disneyfied movie, The Devil Wears Prada. I thought it was a bit of fluffy fun, and immensely enjoyed Meryl Streep's acting. That woman, she is a genius.

I went out and bought the book the other day, and also threw in the author's second novel, Everyone Worth Knowing, since the bookstore was having a special. Prada was darker than the movie, and slightly more twisty, so not bad. The second book, however, was predictable from the first sentence. Very similar storyline to Prada; same sorts of characters, the requisite gay man thrown in, and of course, the true-love-but-I-hate-him-at-first-glance hunky sensitive man.

The party scenes were so wild, so crazy, so disturbing, I don't know if I should be relieved that I don't live that kind of life, or desperate to check it out to see if it's true.

I hate reading books by authors that don't have enough imagination to stray from their first book's premise. Dan Brown, Micheal Crichton, I'm looking at you. There are more of you out there, writers that can spin a decent yarn that hooks people in, but can't think of anything else when your publishers push you for more. Sure, you're rich and famous, and sell books based upon your famous name alone now, but can we try for something more original next time?

This is why I love Terry Pratchett. His books are based in his own little reality, with much-loved and oft-used characters, but the stories are interesting every time. I can't see twists and turns just after reading the first chapter. In fact, I often don't understand the entire plot even after finishing the book! There are a lot of layers to his writing; he's smart and funny.

Now I regret buying these books at all. Anyone want some free paperback fluff? (You pay for postage)

2 comments:

Anna said...

You love Terry Pratchett? I love Terry Pratchett! =D Anna (Jane St. Clair)

RaisinCookies said...

Anna, I think Terry Pratchett is the only author out there whose every book I would happily own. He's a genius!