Wednesday, 11 April 2007

She's four.


Oldest Child is four years old today! We were dithering over having a party or not, but decided to go for it a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I took her shopping for party supplies, and I suddenly realised that she's her own person with opinions on everything. Her favourite colour is pink. She's a fairy princess and as such needed a Disney Princess birthday cake. She required green chocolate chip mint ice cream for her cake. She wanted specific birthday plates and cups. She doesn't like Dora the Explorer anymore. And today, when she wanted to do some gluing, it had to be pictures of flowers.

I'm blown away. It seems like just a few weeks ago I was able to impose my opinion on her and get away with it. Not anymore! She knows what she wants and that's the end of it. Of course I'm proud of her and want more than anything to raise children who are confident and know what they want out of life. I'm just amazed. It happened overnight. Four years ago I was giving birth to this little creature (and cursing my very existence), and now she's this amazing kid with a life that is her very own.

I still can't believe it.

No comments: