Tuesday, 2 October 2007

Prepare to Die.

You know what makes life extra fun? It's not nine months straight of broken nights, nor is it the wonky heating that makes my bedroom hot and then you have to open a window so it gets too cold, neither is it the too-small blankets currently in use because our big one needs to be dry cleaned. These are all a bit niggly, a bit annoying, but nothing too major.

What makes all of that worse by a factor of 10 is your 4 year old child asleep in bed with you. The child that wiggles as if her life depended on it. But not just any wiggling, oh no. This is the Very Special kind of wiggling, that can only be done properly when touching Mama. The "family bed" isn't complete without tormenting your mother while you sleep.

I wasn't on my best behaviour last night, and managed to shout several times while half asleep. I can blame my tiredness, but that wouldn't be very fair. Poor kid. All she wanted was a little bit of torturing to dream by. I can't cope with torture.

So. No more funny business. The parental bed will remain childless. This way I get my much needed sleep, and I don't reduce my children to tears accidentally. Because if I'm going to be a Mean Mommy, I'd like to be awake and rational at the time!

Disclaimer: This post has been written in a haze of sleep deprivation, so please take care when reading. "Dramatic licence" and all that.

No comments: