Sunday, 4 November 2007

Cantique de Noël

The Relief Society (a women's group) in my church is preparing to sing "Oh Holy Night" for the congregation in December.

I have recently been assigned to lead the Relief Society in all things musical, and this includes teaching them to sing this song, and leading them during the performance. I have no formal music training.

Well, that's not entirely true; when I was ten I took a few piano lessons before bottling out, and when I was thirteen I played the clarinet at school. I sing for fun, and I just about know how to read music. A couple of years ago I bought a clapped out old piano and then bought Piano for Dummies. So basically, my musical knowledge is limited.

I was very nervous about getting in front of a group of people and leading them in song. Fly swatting during run-of-the-mill church hymns is no big deal; those songs are ones that I've sung every Sunday since I can remember. But this song, this "Cantique de Noël" is special. I didn't want to make a fool of myself up there, while they were looking to me to provide cues for rhythm and pitch.

Luckily, most of the hard work was done for me. My assignment is only a recent change, and everyone has been practicing for a few weeks before I came along, so I can't really take much credit. But after I worked with the altos and we joined with the sopranos, they sounded beautiful.

I may not have any formal musical training, but I'm loving this assignment.

No comments: