Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Mmmmm. That's good eating.

One of my favourite websites is Allrecipes. It is full of great recipes, practically anything you could think of, and they are all rated. The higher the number of ratings and number of stars, the better and more trustworthy the recipe.

I'm American, living in the UK, and I love getting recipes that I remember when I was growing up and don't have access to anymore. Sure, I grumble a bit at the difference in ingredients (some things just aren't available over here), but I'm able to substitute for the most part.

One of the best aspects of this website, however, is the recipe reviews written by site members. Most of the time they are along the lines of "Wow! Great recipe! It's a keeper!" or "Yuck! I can't believe this got so many stars! It turned out awful for me!". Sometimes, however, you can find real gems. The kind of reviews that give blow-by-blow accounts of how they made this fabulous dish, and all of the changes they made to the recipe. Invariably, at the end of the review, they will exclaim, "What a great recipe!", but by the time they've finished fiddling with it, the original recipe is nowhere to be found.

To whit:

great oatmeal cookie. I did make a few changes. First used splenda instead of white sugar to cut the sugar amount (used the brown sugar as stated). I also accidently used nutmeg (thought I grabbed cinnemon)- still added cinemon and it was good. Also had no raisins only cran mix (nuts/cran/choc) and the cookies were still good. I only baked for 8 minutes. I think this is a cookie that you really can't screw up.

Let's be honest here, Dutchwife. The cookies you made weren't even close to "Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies". They weren't even raisins in them. A basic ingredient, I would have thought.

Oatmeal raisin cookies are my favourite baked treats. Maybe I'm getting a little defensive; I'm sure "Dutchwife's Spicy Oatmeal Nuts/Cran/Choc Cookies" were delicious in their own right.

Dangit. Now I want cookies.



No comments: