Tuesday, 20 November 2007

To my Mom.

I've been thinking a lot about single mothers recently. My parents divorced when I was only 12, and for most of my teen years I lived in a single parent household with my two younger brothers. During that time, my mom worked nights, put herself through university and gained a teaching degree so she could support her family. We were poor, but never really felt it. Life was hard, but she was home when we were home (one of the main reasons she went for a teaching degree), and she was very involved in our lives.

I don't know how she did it. I struggle to get through most days, and due to the husband's long working hours, I often feel like a "single" parent, but at least I have someone to turn to during night wakings and on weekends. At least my kids have a father who is there every morning to play with them and read to them.

In an ideal world, I would have grown up with married parents, but my mom did the very best she could and I'm in awe of her efforts. She shrugs off any compliments, saying, "You do what you gotta do," but I want to say how impressed I am of her, without being interrupted.

Thank you, dear mother, for always caring for me, always listening to me, and always sacrificing for me. I hope I can be that kind of mother to my children, especially when times get tough. You've been a great example and I feel very blessed to have you in my life.

No comments: