Wednesday, 9 January 2008

Before and ... well... we'll just stick with before for now, shall we?

The Cookies family has lived in this house for a little over two years now, and we've decided to start redecorating a bit. I painted the entrance hallway about a year and a half ago, and I totally lost steam when I noticed that the kids had coloured all over the wall. I guess it made sense to them -- Mum was colouring on the wall too, right? Sigh.

Over the Christmas break, the Husband went out shopping on his own. This is dangerous. He came back with several litres of paint, and decided to get cracking. Our bathroom needs a lot of work, because the dampness is seeping into the walls and growing mold -- whoopee! But I digress.

The colour he chose is rather bold. A bit crazy. I think I like it, but I'm not particularly imaginative with decor. Here is the bathroom after my efforts today:


The horrible dirty unpainted spot on the wall is from removing this monstrosity:


Not the toilet, but the black thing with mirror attached. I've got nowhere else to put it, so for the time being I've got front row seats to my own potty time. Fabulous. The Husband wants to get rid of it and get something else with a mirror and shelf for our toothbrushes, but we haven't started shopping around yet.

But back to the colour. What he thought would be a calming oceanic blue has turned out to be a very vibrant turquoise. I think it works with the black and white tiles, but I'm not sure. I don't know if our small bathroom could cope with such a strong colour. Perhaps if I get some bathroom-themed black and white prints for the walls....

Any thoughts, O people of the internetz?

4 comments:

Anna said...

I think if it was going to be the whole wall it would be too bright, but since it's just the top half, it'll be fine. The tiles are quite plain so you need something bright really. And I like nice cheerful colours on walls.

Sabrina said...

I am plain beige boring, so you might not want to pay any attention to me, but I think I like it. I think the black and white prints would tone it down a little, but it's still really happy. Take pics when you're done!

reallyrobins said...

Oh! I love the bright color. Our home of nine years has been 'beige blah' for a long time... then I convinced hubby we needed color. Two red leather chairs and a torquoise, yellow and white dining room later - we are finally living some pizzaz!!

Best of luck with your painting! Pictures, please, when you decide you are AFTER...

RaisinCookies said...

reallyrobins: that dining room sounds fabulous! I would love to see it. :)

The Husband did some more painting last night, and I'm really jazzed about some pictures I'd like to hang up in there, so hopefully we'll finish this project off in good time. Pictures will come, I promise!