Saturday, 12 January 2008

My accent.

There is a discussion on Shapely Prose about English accents and how cute they are on little children.

As you may know, I'm an American living in the UK. The Husband is an Englishman, but he's from Bristol and has a very different accent from your classic Queen's English; he's got a farmer's accent and if you've ever heard that song about a combine 'arvester, you'll know exactly what I mean. As a result, our kids have picked up my accent with ease, and not much of our friends' or neighbours'. Now that Eldest Child is going to school, she her accent is starting to morph a bit. She is saying "caHn't" instead of "can't", "paHnts" instead of "pants", and so on.

I think its incredibly cute, of course, but I'm a little sad to see my influence on her so obviously slip away. Yes, I know my job as a parent is to teach my kids to grow up and fly the nest, so independence is inevitable. But. The time will come when she will probably consciously decide to change her accent to match with her friends, and may even be embarrassed of my accent. (Shock! Horrors! A kid who is ashamed of her parents!) That will be weird for me.

For the moment, my accent is a stronger influence than the Husband's. It's a losing battle, though. Eldest Child is starting to say "tomaHto" without realising it.....

This quiz was spot on for me (sadly, it only words for Americans):

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The Inland North
Philadelphia
The South
The Northeast
The West
Boston
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

No comments: