Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Seriously people: SCARY.

I'm not a big fan of life-like dolls. My girls have several dollies, and one closes its eyes when it lays down. Oh, except for that left eye, that only partially closes...? Yikes. It's just not natural. Baby Child adores these dolls, though, and walks around cuddling them and patting their backs like a little momma. That is sweet. It's also sweet to see the older kids "feeding" them and pushing them around in a buggy.

But they are all under the age of five. I expect and encourage this kind of pretend play. The key words in that sentence are pretend play. When I watched the Channel Four documentary, "My Fake Baby," I was saddened and a little bit horrified. These are dolls that women dress up. These women pretend that their designer dolls are actual babies. They order the dolls to look just like their newborn children or grandchildren. They push the dolls around in buggies. They spend hundreds of pounds on clothing.

If you haven't seen this yet, have a look. It's on YouTube in five parts, so it's rather lengthy, but I'm willing to bet that you'll watch all five parts. It's hard to stop.

Part One.

Part Two.

Part Three.

Part Four.

Part Five.

There are no words.

3 comments:

Um... Yum! said...

I only watched the first part. That was...the opposite of surreal...except I just realized the opposite of surreal is real, so nevermind. Um...

That was kind of sad. I kind of felt sorry for those women. And I think they are fooling themselves into thinking pushing that doll around makes you even half a mother. I would say it's less than 5% of what it's probably like.

Oh, and dolls are scary. Especially those blinky baby dolls.

Sabrina said...

You were right. I did have to watch all 5. I am completely speechless.

Raisin'Cookies said...

After my initial shock and horror, I feel sorry for those women, too. Dressing up a doll and pushing it around town in a buggy is nothing like the real deal.

And also? I think that Grandma's daughter had a valid reason for moving halfway across the world....