Thursday, 10 January 2008

Speaking of shelves.

I put together a new shelving unit today. It's in our bedroom, and is Very Big.

Check out my profile picture. See that mess of a bookshelf? Imagine that mess a year later, doubled in size. I've now redistributed the clutter onto a bigger bookshelf and the smaller bookshelf will be moved to the top of the computer desk.

But for the time being, the entire house is a gigantic mess. Apparently -- and really, who knew -- if I don't clean up after my children, no one else will. Shocking discovery, right?

Because I was so busy today putting this bookshelf together, weaving in and out of children underfoot, letting Middle Child "help" me, I wasn't able to keep up on the basic maintainence of toy tidying and dish washing. I don't think there is a spot on the floor free from toys, clothes, shoes or rubbish that is bigger than a few square inches.

I also have a mountain of laundry to wash, dry and put away (yes, a mountain for every category). I don't know how it happens, I really don't. I go to bed with the house in a reasonable condition, and before we head out the door for the school run the next morning, I find myself navigating a minefield.

So the attempt at de-cluttering continues. Next on the agenda is finding some poor sucker to take this clapped out piano off my hands. Here's a word of advice: don't ever be fooled into thinking a £50 piano is a bargain. It's not a bargain, it's a money pit. And also, it's a hot spot for clutter collection. Don't know where to put that doo-dad or thingamabob? Set it on top of the piano somewhere!

Such is my life. The name of this blog fits me all too well.

No comments: