Tuesday, 1 January 2008

Starting the New Year with a bit of sappiness

I'm starting 2008 off the way every year should be: lazing around the house in my dressing gown, watching tv, messing around on the computer, and reading a book. My kids have slowly shed all their clothing, so now they are running around the house in the nude; the husband is still asleep, and the baby is taking a nap. We are on our second viewing of Bob the Builder (but no one is watching it by now) and the house is a mess.

Ah, the holidays. As much as I was looking forward to this time off from real life, I'm now looking forward to our schedules getting back on track. Tomorrow we'll have more visitors -- my brother and new sister-in-law -- so that should be fun. But school starts up again on Thursday, and routines will slowly get back into place, and that is nothing to scoff at.

Yes, it's a pain to get everyone ready in the morning. I generally run around like a headless chicken and screech like a banshee trying to herd everyone into the car to get Eldest to school on time. I find it stressful, and I feel like time falls through my fingers like so much sand. These holidays have lolled along, not requiring much, and it's been enjoyable. I've been able to just chill out with the kids, without that little nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me I simply MUST get such-and-such done before thisthatortheother happens.

Without that nagging voice, though, nothing gets done. Dishes are spread around the house like a thin film of dust (and yes, there is dust spread around the house, too), the pile-up of laundry is reaching epic proportions, and Eldest's school things need to be collected, ironed, and hung up ready to go. I have to start packing lunches again.

So, goodbye, holidays. Goodbye, 2007. We've had a good time, and we've all grown up a little bit. I've seen my children start school, learn to use the toilet independently, and grow from a slip of a human to a walking, joking, fabulous little person. They are my joy, these three. Oh, and my husband of course. He's my rock, and I look forward to 2008 with him at my side and my kids walking before us.

No comments: