Thursday, 14 February 2008

People and Me.

I have never been very good at reading other people. In my younger days, I would write pages and pages of journal entries analyzing every little detail of conversations I had with people (mostly boys). It's a miracle I met and married my husband actually; I'm just rubbish at socializing and stuff. I put on a little show for people, and I make the appearance of being semi-normal, but it's mostly an act. I'm especially good at being the brash American. It's an easy facade to hide behind.

About a year after The Husband and I started dating, I spent 6 weeks living away from home in a far away city doing some volunteer work. I had a great time, learned a lot, and to my complete surprise, I had several men interested in me. It was really weird! I didn't quite know what to do or how to respond. I was in a committed relationship, so there were no reciprocated feelings, but I wasn't even sure if these guys were simply being nice, or actually flirting? How could I tell?

So, of course, my modus operandi was to write about our conversations in excruciating detail in my journal. Reading through these journals now, it's pretty blinkin' obvious that there was some flirtation going on. Like, when a guy purposely goes out of his way to talk to you in every social setting you cross paths in? Yeah. Derr.

Last night, at rehearsals, I was surprised to find that the new guy kept looking at me. Several times, he sought me out to start a small conversation. A few times, when I glanced in his direction, I accidentally caught his eye. I was nice enough to him, and it was flattering, in a way. I don't wear a wedding ring, and I didn't get a chance to casually mention "my husband" in any conversation. Heh.

I'm amused at the thought of his reaction to finding out I'm married with three kids. I've been told that I don't look old enough to have such a large family (and I love every single person who has said that). If I'm right, and this guy was trying to get to know me -- wink, wink, nudge, nudge -- I wonder if he'll freak out when I tell him about my family. I wonder if he'll stop trying to talk to me so much.

I could be totally wrong in my assessment, however; he might be interested in finding out about the weird American chick, and that's all. It could go either way, really. Like I said, I'm pretty bad at reading people.

No comments: