Tuesday, 16 March 2010

The infamous baby quilt

The first quilt I ever started was my eldest daughter's. However, I jumped in head first into a project filled with triangles and had no idea what I was doing! I got discouraged after time and put it away for several years.

For whatever reason, I decided to make a baby quilt for our newest addition, due out in the beginning of June. I paid a visit to a nearby quilting shop and fell in love with my first Moda charm pack.

Again, I didn't really know what I was doing. As with my eldest daughter's quilt, I went ahead with the idea of backing the quilt with a fleece blanket rather than doing the batting-backing-quilting-basting route.

Unfortunately, fleece is stretchy. I didn't adjust the settings on my sewing machine, so the fleece stretched out considerably as I was sewing the two together. I was left with a ton of bunched up, curled under sections of the blanket and it made me Very Sad and Frustrated.

I thought that basting it would help. It didn't. More of the fleece got bunched up and my beautiful quilt top was slowly being destroyed by my efforts to marry stretchy fleece with not-so-stretchy cotton.

I put the blanket away, depressed. I went to work on my triangles-ahoy blanket, and managed to finish it to a good standard. I realised my mistake in time and changed the sewing machine settings so I could sew the fleece blanket and quilt top together without much hassle. Instead of trying to sew it together like a traditional quilt, I sewed it front facing together, with a gap at the bottom, turned it all right side out and top stitched the edges.

After completing the quilt that had been bugging me for years, I realised that I couldn't let the baby's quilt bug me for years as well, so I pulled out my trusty seam ripper and went to work.

And I fixed the baby blanket! I ripped out all the terrible basting that I had attempted, ripped out all the quilting in the middle, and adjusted my sewing machine settings to allow me to sew that quilt top directly onto the fleece blanket.

Due to some hasty decisions on my part, the blanket had to be trimmed down a bit and the edges are no longer uniform in size. I'm sad about all the mistakes I made that led to irrevocable damage to the blanket, but I'm so, so happy that I managed to fix all the problems that I created in the first place.

I know that a fleece backing to a quilt top isn't a traditional method of quilting, and it certainly doesn't lend itself well to machine quilting the centre of the quilt, but I think it turned out well in the end. The tops of my kids' quilts will be pretty, and the bottoms will be fuzzy and warm. Not bad!

The fleece backing on this blanket is a lime green colour. I think it complements the quilt top nicely.


2 comments:

Babybeeatthehive said...

That turned out very pretty, Sarah! :)

RaisinCookies said...

Thanks! I'm excited to get a baby snuggled up in it. :)