Wednesday, 24 March 2010

What I've been working on

I've been tackling a couple of small projects recently, mostly because I've lost a bit of steam with regards to my son's quilt but also because I wanted to learn a few new techniques.
For a super small project, I came across a tutorial for this wonky star. I love it! So much of quilting is about perfect accuracy, so the randomness of the points on the star really appeal to my chaotic side. :) In fact, I may start a full quilt based on these blocks just for me, using these fabrics as a starting point.


I also found a tutorial for a tiny ticker tape doll quilt. I didn't follow the tutorial exactly, and my quilt ended up being a bit larger, 33" x 25" or so, instead of the suggested 16" x 20". (I kind of just cut a piece of fabric without measuring it...)


This doll quilt was super fun to make. I love how the quilted back turned out, with all of the oddly spaced and shaped squares. Also not in the tutorial, I decided to try my hand at a pieced backing. I am really happy with how it turned out! The fabric on the back is completely unadorned, so it was nice to add a bit of spice with the stripe of colour down one side.


I hope the almost-7-year-old enjoys it. I've been sewing it with her around, and when she asked who it was for, I just said "Oh, I don't know yet...". I'm sure she'll be surprised, at least!

2 comments:

amy smart said...

I love your ticker-tape quilt! I am dying to try one of those. It just love how they turn out!! I love what you did with the back as well.

And aren't those stars fun? I just tried them for the first time too and they were very liberating. :)

AND THANK YOU for my fun little parcel!! I love all of it. The Jelly Babies were gone within the day :) and the bag and Union Jack are perfect. Love them both!

(I'm still hoarding the Wine Gums - and hiding them from my family - but I don't expect them to last long. :)

RaisinCookies said...

Thanks for the compliments. :) I'm glad you got your package! It's always nerve-wracking, waiting for people to receive surprise packages.