Friday, 28 May 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative Side is again hosting a Blogger's Quilt Festival this year. I thought I had missed the deadline, so haven't yet participated. I was wrong! Today is the last day, so I thought I'd add a quick entry to the list.



So this is my entry for the festival. I've talked about this quilt before, but I've been thinking about it recently because of my hexagon project -- a few of the scraps left behind from this quilt are making it into my hexagon box, and I had forgotten just how much I love the antique look of some of the flower fabrics.

I started this quilt with absolutely NO knowledge of how to quilt. At all. I cut my triangles haphazardly with scissors, didn't sew with accurate seams, and encountered any number of frustrations along the way as a result, of course!

However, this is the quilt that started it all. It was hiding in my "to do" pile for YEARS, and it wasn't until the beginning of this year that I decided I was brave enough to tackle it and actually finish it.

And I did! It led to me finishing off the new baby's quilt (which I technically started before I finished off this quilt, but then when I messed it up with my dire machine quilting, I realised that I couldn't let the baby's quilt hide away in my "to do" pile for as long as this one did! I was brave, and I redid half of the quilt; I was learning...), I sewed an I-Spy quilt for my son, and a filmstrip quilt for my younger daughter.

I was on a roll, and obsessively reading through the many, many quilting blogs out there full of fantastic tips, hints and tutorials to help me along the way. In fact, I've gained a bit of a reputation among my friends as the intrepid quilter; we've had quilting days and evenings, where I've taught them the techniques I've learned... a bit like the blind leading the blind, but no matter! We're having a good time. :)

My current unfinished projects are my husband's quilt, a wonky star quilt, and of course my mystery hexagon project. Current physical limitations associated with late pregnancy are preventing me from sitting at my sewing machine right now, but I'm hoping to have this baby VERY SOON (did you hear that, baby? SOON) and I'll be able to get some sewing done again at some point, right...?

When I started quilting at the beginning of this year, I thought I would make a quilt for each of my children and then put the sewing machine away again for a few more years. I've now realised that sewing and creating is a big part of me and what I love to do with my time. It's strange, because I'm not a particularly neat, organised or detail-oriented person, but I love the satisfaction that comes from pressing an accurate seam and putting together a quilt top with every corner matching together perfectly. I love the colours, the texture, and the practicality of a quilt. It is meant to be used, not just looked at; quilting is the perfect mix of art and function.

And I love it.

6 comments:

tracylee said...

Welcome to the word of quilting! Looks like you got a great start - I am glad I am not the only one that starts a quilt, finishes a few other projects and then finishes the first quilt. Congrats on your upcoming addition to the family!

RaisinCookies said...

Thanks! I think it's better for me, creatively, to have a few projects going at one time. I like options. :)

Lynne said...

I love the title of your blog and your blog name - LOVE your hexies, LOVE what you said about quilts being USED and GOOD LUCK - as a mum of four I see you are about to join the club. Looking forward to new baby news and you are now on my UK blogroll.

RaisinCookies said...

Thanks, Lynne! I'm blushing over here. :)

It's good to know of another mother of four who still manages to get quilting done... I'm still not sure how I'm going to manage it!

janet said...

I like the colors you used. It's amazing how fast quilting and creating gets in your blood!:)

Jolie said...

It's lovely - something fab to snuggle under and for your kids to cuddle and use as forts and magic carpets, and the perfect 3D tracker of your progress as a quilter! Very very cool!