Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Hexagon Update

Hexagons Sewn: 141



Hexagon Papers: 248



The Plan: Unknown




For whatever reason, I'm really enjoying the process of sewing these little shapes. My husband thinks I've gone bonkers in this late pregnancy brain of mine, but I think it has a lot to do with the ability to put my swollen feet up and still get sewing done. Unfortunately, sitting at a sewing machine for too long causes all sorts of aches, pains and swellings to happen in my body right now, so I'm focusing on hexagons for the time being.

I have no idea what I'm going to end up with after all this. I don't even know if I'll carry on after the baby is born, to be honest. I have a feeling that nursing a baby and sewing with a needle and thread are two activities that won't mesh very well! I don't even know how many hexagons I would need in order to make a decent sized quilt. I should figure that one out, because I'm sure it's going to be more than 400 or so!

I love that it takes so little fabric to piece together a few hexagons. I have lots of little scraps that I'm hanging onto to teach my daughter how to stitch, and have been able to skim off the top of that pile a bit to add to my collection.

Here's something weird about me: If I have a bunch of the same fabric for hexagons (if you look closely, I have repeats of up to 8 at a time), I have to give myself a break from sewing the same kind of hexagons too many times in a row. Like, three or four of the same fabric in a row, max. I then have to mix it up with something else, to fend off fabric fatigue or something. See? Weird.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

These hexagons are great! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with them!

Alia said...

Lovely to have you on board and keep those tootsies perked up! All the best in this pregnancy!

RaisinCookies said...

Thanks, ladies. :)