Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Using Freezer Paper to Create Images on Clothing: Tutorial

Firstly, to all my UK readers, freezer paper is not widely available in this country. I bought some on eBay for about £2, and the pack I received is about the size of an A1 sheet. Not overly expensive, but I'm not planning on mass producing anything at this point. However, it's a great little tool and I highly recommend it for this use!

I wanted to decorate some baby clothes for two of my close friends, who are not only American living in England like me, but who are also due to have their babies in the same month as me! (I'm due first though, haha)

They are new to the country compared to me (less than 2 years compared to my 11), so I thought it would be funny to give them a onesie with the English flag, saying "Made in England." This is how I did it!

Firstly, I designed a simple image on the computer, and printed it out several times before I got it down to the right size... my printer wouldn't print directly onto the freezer paper (I've heard that this is possible, but no dice for me), but luckily freezer paper is easily seen through and I used a craft knife to cut the design.



Be sure to cut the design with the shiny side DOWN. Cut it out just as you want it seen, removing all the black from the design.

Iron your item of clothing, then iron your freezer paper design onto the clothing, shiny side down again. The waxy side of the paper will (temporarily) stick to the clothing. I suggest that you don't move the iron back and forth across the paper, but rather "press" with it. This is especially important if your design is intricate; the little paper pieces could get moved around before they are securely ironed to the fabric.



Once the freezer paper is ironed/pressed fast, start a-paintin'! I used Anita's All-Purpose Acrylic Craft Paint, which is suitable for fabrics along with a lot of other things. I haven't put any of this in the wash, though, so I may eat my words in a few weeks!



I used a small paintbrush for the design; nothing special.



Be sure you paint right up to the edges of your design. Do you see those white spots peeking through along the straight edges of the English flag? I painted a bit more there in order to have as crisp an edge as possible.



Impatiently wait for the paint to dry COMPLETELY, and then carefully peel the paper off the fabric. Ta-Da!

I admit, I was lazy with the lettering and didn't put white space inside the D's and A's in the wording. I think it looks okay, though!

I also painted a tree design on some other baby onesies; I like to think of them as Family Trees, a nice little symbol for a new baby!

Before:


After:





I looooove the green tree. Aah!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first attempt at a tutorial, so I hope it's interesting and helpful! Please let me know if I've missed anything - I'm sure I have!

1 comment:

Eryn Pluim said...

Those are awesome! I just started browsing your blog and I have to say, I am awed by your craftiness!