Monday, 29 August 2011

NaBloPoMo, redux. Also, roller derby.

Here we go again! Nearly four years ago, I embarked on a month-long odyssey of writing in this blog every single day. Hopefully I won't choke at the finish line, like last time, but we'll see. I have more children and have more hobbies, so life is totally easier this time around. HA.


Speaking of hobbies, I've decided to fall in love with a little sport called roller derby. Oh yes.


I am not what you would call a "typical" roller derby girl; I am very straight laced, conservative in most of my behaviour and views, religious, tee-totaller in every sense of the word, and can't really see myself becoming totally devoted to the sport like other people are. And yet, aside from these fundamental cultural differences, I love it.


I am not a sporty person - my track and field coach in high school described me as "not particularly talented, but enjoys herself". But I turned 30 this year, and in an effort to stave off morbidity in my declining years, I decided that I need to be physically active.


Raise your hand if you ENJOY exercising. I think you'll find that I just sat on my hands! However, I find that if I am roller skating, or riding bikes, or even taking adult ballet classes, I enjoy it quite a lot. So that's my rule of thumb; if I am going to be physically active, I have to have fun doing it.


I won't be playing any bouts any time soon, but watch this space for more fresh meat roller derby insights. In addition to derby, I am also hoping to get into more sewing and re-fashioning projects. It's going to be a fun month!Link

No comments: