Friday, 8 June 2012

Five Things for Friday: This Was My Week

-1-


This past week, my baby turned two. How did that happen? I am constantly bewildered on my children's birthdays. I don't understand how time has passed so quickly, and my tiny little newborn suddenly becomes a walking, talking, mind-of-her-own, full blown person. It's pretty amazing.

We had a low-key day, and thanks to Her Majesty's Jubilee celebrations, my husband even had the day off work! She had presents in the morning, we went out to breakfast, Daddy took her shopping with her birthday money (a cherished tradition) and we had her favourite foods: curry and fruit. 

She loves spicy food, so we compromised (the other kids don't like it at ALL) and had Butter Chicken. Mmmmm. The child also doesn't care much for cake (I know, it's an odd preference) so I made a rainbow fruit platter instead.

It was demolished faster than a cake would be!


I'm quite proud of how pretty it turned out.
The white is a small cup of cream to pour over the fruit.


About to blow out the candles

Happy birthday to my sweet little girl! We're so happy to have her in our family.

-2-


I was recently up at 3am -- I keep falling asleep at 8 o'clock and then waking in the middle of the night, then falling back to sleep again until morning -- and I did some online shopping.

I don't suggest this.

I made the decision to buy a couple of new potties because I kept buying the cheap ones for my toddler and they kept getting destroyed. Two of them got cracks in the base (I've been forced to tape it up for the time being) and one was completely shattered when one of the older children accidentally landed on it (ouch!).

It seemed like false economy to keep buying cheapie potties that I had to replace every few weeks, so I bought this fancy-schmancy round potty with an insert. Will it stand up to the rigors of my home life? 

Sometimes I think companies should hire my children for quality control testing. If it survives two weeks in my house, it will survive anything.

Anyway, delirious with odd sleeping hours and determined to buy a quality product, I went to Amazon and spent £15 on a pot to pee in.

I won't get it until next week, but it better be amazing. She'd better pee in that thing all the time, because right now she waits until the last second and that behaviour is getting old FAST.
Why is this so expensive? Who knows.


-3-


As previously mentioned, this week was the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. We had a four day weekend, and went to a party.

I dressed in red, white and blue, with a 50s style 'do, because any chance for me to dress up is worth taking.

I'm not much of a royalist. I think it's kind of neat that Kate Middleton ended up married to a Prince (modern day story-tale come true!), but I'm more of the opinion that people with lots of money should spread the wealth more. 

Recently, I took a trip to London with my daughter and we went to the Royal Mews. The pomp and circumstance, the expensive accoutrements that accompany the Royal Family over the history of this country kind of made me sad. So many people lived and died without enough food or a decent shelter overhead, while the Kings and Queens lived in luxury and rode in gold-plated carriages. It just doesn't seem right.

So I guess I'll always be more American than British, no matter how long I live here! But I do love the UK, overall. It is my home, and Elizabeth II, by default, is my queen.  

60 years in any job is probably worth celebrating.


-4-


The Wearing of Skirts continues. I started in the beginning of May as part of a fun challenge, and it turns out I vastly prefer wearing skirts compared to jeans or trousers. 

I have a wide variety of skirts now, from denim to corduroy, utilitarian to flowing and girlie, casual and formal.

They are more comfortable for me and help me to stay a bit more dressed up in my day-to-day life. Mentally, it helps me feel more prepared for the day and I actually look forward to choosing what I will wear rather than just throwing something on and not caring how I looked.

I'm happy with the change and probably won't go back to jeans any time soon!
I might just make one of each.


-5-


It's time for a hair cut.

I haven't cut my hair in a very long time, because I mostly hate it. I dislike the whole experience - small talk, people touching my face, the disappointment that a new hair style didn't magically transform me into the model in the picture (I'm not the only one, am I?), the cost at the end...

But I can't put it off any more. My hair has gotten pretty long by now, and it's all different lengths. More than that, it is getting major split ends. I can break my hair off at the ends and that's not a good thing! So I have to bite the bullet and get a trim.

It is with more than a little trepidation, however, because I'm finally starting to enjoy my longer hair! I recently learned how to do a fishtail braid! I am hoping to grow it out a lot longer so I can try other fancy things with it. Long hair is FUN and I never really noticed it before.

Run away!!



This blog post is brought to you by Women in the Scriptures blog hop. Join in the fun!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

You used the phrase "vastly prefer!" You are so British! I love it. Good luck with the cut. I just cut my longish hair last night because I have no ability to do fishtail braids or the like.

Raisin4Cookies said...

I am so British-ised it isn't even funny! I've lived here for 13 years and I often forget what the American way of doing or saying things actually is. :)

I hope you are happy with your haircut!

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

I love your fruit platter! It is really beautiful. I think my little one might like this better than cake too-- she is fruit monster :)

That is really funny about the Diamond Jubillee-- my sister in law had a lay over in London last week on her way to africa and when she went out in the street to catch a cab she couldn't figure out why EVERYONE was out and about-- turns out it was the Jubille. Sometimes I wish I was British-- they do have lots of extra quirks us Americans don't... Okay, maybe not :)

Raisin4Cookies said...

The grass is always greener, Heather! I think British people are fantastic in many ways, but there will always be a "language" barrier for me, no matter how long I've lived here. It is sometimes hard work, being a foreigner. :) I'd love to move back to the States, if only for a short time.