Saturday, 29 September 2012

Gymming it Up

I just changed a noun into a verb, in the title up there. Thanks for the tip, Calvin. (oh, and also Shakespeare)


So today I went gymming. I gymmed. For the first time in over a decade, in fact!

You'd think I was going through a midlife crisis or something. I've stopped eating sugar and meat, I've joined the gym and next week I'm going to begin a personal challenge of meditating for 40 days (no, not nonstop. just consecutively!).

But I don't feel like I'm grasping at straws, trying to reclaim a lost youth or whatever. I'm still totally young and nobody will convince me otherwise!

In fact, I feel like I'm finally coming into my own - and scientific research backs me up! Apparently, the human brain doesn't fully mature until you reach your 30s and even 40s. Wild, huh? Makes me realise that our youth obsessed culture is REALLY backwards in so many ways!

So anyway, back to gymming. I was pretty nervous, considering I've never really been into the whole gym scene before and I haven't been physically active on a regular basis since quitting roller derby late last year. Yikes! It's been a long time! Even so, I was pleased to see my blood pressure is perfect and resting heart rate is within the bounds of normal-for-someone-who-doesn't-work-out.

The gym is up the road, a literal five minute walk from my house, so that's really awesome. The trainer dude who went over my goals with me was really encouraging and was pleased with my squatting technique (or is it form? either way it's kind of an odd sentence right there). I attribute that to my time spent in roller derby where squatting was a way of life. A burning, killer way of life! You try to squat non-stop for an hour while also trying to knock other people off their skates. Not an easy task.

So my goals are to build up core strength and do some heavy lifting! Yes, none of that pansy 20 curls with a 5lb weight for me. I'm going for the heavy stuff. Today I lifted a 14kg kettle bell fifteen times, which doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I felt it by the end, I'll tell you! The gym dude wrote up a personal fitness programme which should take me an hour to complete and give me some major back and abdominal strength, along with legs, arms and cardiovascular health.

I am really excited! I told the kids that my goal is to lift them up with a single pinky finger. They decided that would make me a super hero so I am now looking forward to becoming Super Mum with a super hero costume consisting of my pyjamas. Save the world in my pj's? What more could a girl ask for?!

Three times a week, from 7am-8am. By the end of the year, I'll have been gymming for 40 sessions, which is a good start to forming a lifelong habit.

I am pleased that my health isn't bad right now. Considering my lack of physical exercise, it's almost a surprise. I can't count on that forever, though! Life won't always be easy street; old age will come and with it a whole host of issues that could have easily been avoided if I was active in my younger years.

This is my personal future investment. I know that eating right and exercising isn't the magic panacea for perfect health that it's made out to be. Life throws curve balls and challenges come to all of us, but this is a good thing for me, right now.

Well, since I am financially committed for the next 12 months, it better continue to be a good thing for me for a long while to come!

2 comments:

Mortons said...

Well Done! I look forward to updates x

Raisin4Cookies said...

I'm sore! Super sore! Can hardly walk! But it'll pass. :)