Saturday, 27 October 2012

My little boy was baptised today


A few hours ago, my second-born child entered the waters of baptism, following the example of the Saviour.

He was thoroughly versed in the 'whys' and 'hows' of baptism, and was happy to make this step in his life. My husband and I are happy he's taken this step as well; we believe it is a saving ordinance and one that will give him strength and protection throughout his life.


The service itself is quite short; usually a talk or two is given on the subjects of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. These are great topics, but when preparing for my son's baptism, I felt a different approach would work better.

He is a big fan of the scriptures in Acts that refer to the armour of God. So I themed a short talk on that:


I glued a picture of his head onto card and added a cartoon body with some strategically placed velcro. As I talked about each part of the armour, he stuck a little picture onto himself. By the end of the talk, he was fully prepared to live a life of faith!

“Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth”

“have on the breastplate of righteousness.”

“your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace”

the helmet of salvation

the sword of the Spirit, or the word of God

“Above all, taking the shield of faith”


He really enjoyed sticking the bits of armour onto himself! Hopefully it will be something he will remember as he grows up, and in the meantime he has the chance to play with it whenever he wants now. (at least until the pieces get lost or broken, which is inevitable in this house!)

I love that kid.

4 comments:

amy smart said...

What a wonderful post! Aren't baptism days the best?? I love the armour of God poster - you are a good mum!

Raisin4Cookies said...

Thanks, Amy! I am glad everything went smoothly; there were some clashes with use of the building but all went well in the end. :)

It was a lovely experience.

Chantelle said...

What a great idea! Will have to shelve this for future reference :-)

Congratulations on the baptism - what a fantastic step to take! He looks absolutely thrilled, too!

Raisin4Cookies said...

Thank you, Chantelle. :)