Saturday, 8 December 2012

Needle Felted Playscape

One of my original gift ideas for my two year old was a hobby horse. It seemed simple enough to make, but the more I thought about it, the more I fretted over the giant STICK attached to the horse head. (hello, weapon) And I couldn't just make a horse head and give that as a gift. I'm not trying to evoke images of horror on Christmas morning.

Clearly, other people don't see a problem with the stick feature of a hobby horse, but I kept imagining scenarios of it being used to reach high places, whack other people, put eyes out, etc.

So that idea was scrapped.

Through googling, I happened across this idea of felted playscapes. From what I can tell, a felted playscape is just a nature scene come to 3D life, with little creatures thrown in for good measure. Many of the pictures I found were like works of art, they were so beautiful.

I haven't needle felted anything in a while, so the concept fully captivated me and I got to work!

First of all, I went the lazy route and didn't wet felt the base. I don't mind wet felting, but it meant that I wouldn't be able to get started straight away on the fun stuff (flowers, tree stump, etc) and it also meant that I couldn't make the base as big as I wanted because my bamboo mat is tiny.

Anyway, I cut out a 12"x12" piece from an old acrylic sweater/jumper. It was a lovely shade of green, so if it peeked through the wool it would match nicely.

I just poked the wool straight through the fabric, added details and voila!

Water, grass, lilies, tree stump, a little duck house, cattails, etc

Another view
Tree stump, little duck saying hello!

The "back" view

Lily pads and flowers

 This book was the inspiration.

I'm really happy with the results! I might add a few more flowers here and there, and the tree stump needs roots, I think. I also want to make Momma duck, but unfortunately little Daisy duck is pretty big! I'd have to make Momma HUGE.

2 comments:

The Handmaden said...

This looks really lovely! I'm knitting some ducks but haven't made the playscape to go with them yet, so i'm looking forward to having a go.

Raisin4Cookies said...

Thank you! Nine months on, and the ducks have disappeared, but the playscape is still useable. I might make something else...