Friday, 11 January 2013

What to Wear on the Plane; a Plan to Survive Jet Lag

In a few weeks, I'm flying out to visit family and friends in the USA, my country of origin.

Excitement abounds! I haven't been to the States in five years (almost exactly!) and I'm looking forward to spending time with friends and finally meeting my little nephews!

Today I've been thinking about what to wear on my flight. I'll be travelling for many hours - about 12 or 13 - and want to be comfortable but still look half decent.

Last year I stopped wearing trousers/jeans entirely, so I figured I'd just wear a comfy skirt with a nice top.

That's all well and good, but most of my skirts wrinkle easily or have waistbands that I wouldn't really want to sit in for hours on end (buttons/zips/etc). After reading other people's advice online, I wanted to do a bit of layering so I can keep warm or cool off as the temperature fluctuates. I have two jackets - a denim one, which is nice but not something I'd want to wear for long periods of time in a confined space (it's not stretchy enough) or a cute short-sleeved jacket that isn't really suited for keeping me warm!

After a bit of on-line shopping, I settled on Matalan (sale! woohoo!) and came up with a few nice items that should travel well.



The blazer is on sale for five pounds! Total bargain. The top (described as navy, so hopefully will go okay with the navy blazer, but I'm no fashionista, so who knows) is also five pounds

The gold maxi skirt supposedly has a slit up to the knee (it's very hard to tell, but I think it's that high), so I'll probably sew it up a bit. But for five pounds again, I am okay with that slight flaw. The waistband is elastic, so it should be comfy to sit in for a long time. Also, the nature of the fabric means that a few extra wrinkles won't look out of place!

I already have a yellow pashmina (extra warmth/layering), black leggings and black flats. I think it's a cute little outfit, and the clothes are all something I can wear with other items in my wardrobe. 

In fact, right now I'm wearing a long skirt with leggings underneath (gotta love the layers), a long sleeved top and jacket. I guess this is my "style."

Also on my traveling list:

kindle
MP3 player
earplugs
neck cushion
warm socks
toiletry items: toothbrush, gum, deodorant, hairbrush, talcum powder
spare clothes just in case my luggage gets lost!

Is there anything else that would help?


=========================================

My time in the States is super limited, and there is a lot of stuff I want to get done and many people I want to see while I'm there. So I've decided to try a certain trick to overcome jet lag: fasting. 

Apparently, our body clocks reset faster with mealtimes than they do with sleep times. My plane takes off at 9am, and lands in Newark at noon, local time. I'll have a three hour layover while I'm there, so my plan is to eat a super light breakfast before I get on the plane, and abstain from food until I land, eating lunch alongside everyone else in the airport.

There are lots of nay-sayers to this plan, saying that it's too hard to fast for such a long time and in such close quarters to other people who are eating freely, but I have plenty of practice fasting for my religious beliefs. I think I'll be okay! Hopefully I'll be able to distract myself with good books and snoozing. 

I think it's worth the sacrifice to allow me the ability to overcome jet lag as fast as possible, without resorting to over the counter drugs or caffeinated drinks. 


To be quite honest, although I'm not necessarily looking forward to being cooped up on the plane for such a long time, the prospect of reading a book with no interruptions certainly appeals!!

1 comment:

Mortons said...

I hope you have a great time, travelling is so exciting!! I'm not really a well seasoned traveller so I don't have any advice - I always get incredibly thirsty in airports and find planes really hot and stuffy so layering is good, and don't skip on drinks x