Friday, 31 May 2013

Five Things for Friday: New Addition Edition!

Heather at Women in the Scriptures normally sponsors a Five Things for Fridays post, but I'm going to jump the gun and start my own this week!

I've been sitting on this announcement for months now, but now I'm happy to announce that I'm pregnant with baby number five!

Yes, it's a lot of kids. I'm kind of giddy with excitement about the thought, actually.



-1-

I tested positive while I was away in America visiting friends earlier this year, so it was hard to be away from my husband and kids while having this amazing news to share! Thankfully, I didn't have any sickness while I was travelling, but I am extra glad now that I decided to opt out of all the x-ray machines in the various airports I travelled through. I know they say the machines are safe, but I'm a suspicious sort of person. :)

We decided to tell the kids when I was about 10 weeks along, on Mothering Sunday. They were beside themselves with excitement! It was adorable. They've been wanting another baby in the family for over a year now, so it is almost like a gift to them rather than a usurper. So that's nice! (long may it last..)

-2-

Once the "morning" sickness kicked in, it really kicked my butt. Ugh! I definitely had thoughts of "how could I have volunteered for this again??!". My last pregnancy, I was nauseated for pretty much the entire nine months, and I often fantasised about escaping my body for a few hours at a time; not dying, but just exiting my body like you would leave a car at the end of a trip. It was really hard to deal with, and by the end I just gave up even trying.

This time around, I started researching different foods that can help morning sickness the most, and for a while eating lots of protein helped (I've given up being vegetarian for now, but I'll probably go back when I'm up to meal planning again) but then I came across this blog post on eating Ph balancing foods. It pretty much changed my life.

I immediately gave up meat (again!) and pretty much lived on a constant flow of vegetables, lemon water, and grapefruits. I had lots of salads, wraps, smoothies, and fresh veggie juice. It was mostly salads and wraps, though, because washing the juicing machine was too much hassle most of the time!

Suddenly, the nausea was reduced considerably. Sometimes, it even disappeared altogether! What a relief. What a blessing! I was praying and praying for the nausea to be taken away, and then I read all this information about how I could make that happen. I mean, my prayers were specifically asking for God to do it for me, but I've discovered that God doesn't really work like that. :) I had to do my part.

So if you suffer from morning sickness, try eating more foods like:

Cucumbers (extremely alkalinizing), lemons, limes, watermelon, unripe bananas, dark leafy greens, unsweetened coconut water, carrots, celery, almonds, alkaline spring water, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and avocado.

Good luck!

-3-

I'm about 21 weeks now. The hospital as my dates as three days ahead of mine, so I stay hazy on the definitive count. It's fine. I prefer not to tell people an actual due date, because it's ridiculously haphazard; I'm due around the beginning of October. My son was born on the 1st of October, so he might have an extra special birthday present this year!

It would be kind of a hassle for them to share a birthday, but I'm not worried about that. What will be will be.

I'm definitely showing now, and the baby's kicks are getting strong enough to occasionally feel on the outside of my belly, but of course he/she calms down as soon as dad is trying to feel movement! Every baby has done this; it's uncanny. 

Feeling the baby move is hands down, the coolest and best part of pregnancy. Even after the baby is born and I get to snuggle all that newborn baby goodness, I miss the kicks and stretches and even hiccups that kept me awake at night. It's such a sweet connection to have with that little person. I'll never get tired of that feeling.

-4-

So even though I'm barely halfway through, I've already started nesting. I guess it's good I've started now, because we're drowning in clutter around here and I need time to get on top of things. Lately I've started clearing out all the clothes in the kids' rooms. Stuff they don't wear, that doesn't fit, that's full of holes and stains, winter clothes that need to be packed away and summer clothes that need to be brought out, and so on. It's a huge job, because I can't just toss everything; I have three girls and really need to save a lot of stuff so the younger ones have clothes as they grow. I am definitely a hand-me-downs sort of momma. (I even have some things that the baby will wear that all four of my other kids wore as newborns! Swoon)

All three girls share a room, so the clutter in there was getting crazy. We're pretty much finished with organising and paring down excess stuff and junk, but it still hasn't left the house yet. I have 5 or 6 HUGE bags full of clothes that I need to get rid of, and old furniture that's outlived its usefulness, stuff stuff and more stuff.

I've decided that one of the leading causes of my semi-hoarding tendencies are down to reading The Velveteen Rabbit as a child. I'm sure I somehow attribute life to all of our things and that's why I can't seem to part with it.

Or, I'm just too lazy to do laundry and buy more socks instead.

-5-

My youngest child was born at home. I've considered a home birth again this time, but something is stopping me from doing that. In fact, before I even got pregnant, I felt strongly that this birth should happen in the hospital. Home birth is almost a "been there, done that" sort of thing. 

This might make me weird, but meh. I'm almost looking forward to a day or two away from home this time, and bonding with the baby one-on-one a bit more. I love having a newborn, but everybody always wants to hold the baby! Mine! All mine!

My eldest is disappointed; she loved being woken up in the middle of the night as soon as the baby was born at home, and holding her before she was ever even dressed. It is a highlight in her life, I think. This time she wanted to watch the baby be born, and as much as I'd like to say I'm happy with my daughter experiencing that, I really don't think my labouring self will be cool with it. I'm all up for providing learning experiences for my children, and normalising birth as much as possible for them (that is super important to me), but I think she'll just have to make do with watching other people's birth videos. (no, I'm not making one)

I still plan to have a low-intervention birth, and will likely hire a doula to help me get there, but the kids will have to meet the baby in the hospital this time around. 

That's my plan for now, anyway. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time, up to and including the transition phase....




I need to get a bump picture uploaded at some point. I took one three weeks ago, so maybe I'll wait another week or two for some comparison shots! That would be fun.

5 comments:

Roxanne Morton said...

How exciting!! I used to think 5 kids was no big deal, then I became a mother and realise it is a HUGE deal! I think you are so brave and amazing x

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Yay! Congrats. That is wonderful news. I am so glad you are feeling better and best wishes with everything!

Raisin4Cookies said...

Thank you both. :) I've been a lot more active and eating better this pregnancy compared to my last, so right now I'm feeling pretty good. Tired -- always -- but otherwise ok!

notmolly said...

Congratulations on Baby 5!! That's tremendous news! Isn't it amazing when we can find the foods that really work for us? Enjoy the nesting... I'm not gestating, but I'm right there wanting to clear out and make cozy!

Anna said...

Congratulations Sarah! All the best for a safe and healthy pregnancy. x