· 4 aubergines, ends trimmed
· 2 Tbs oil
· 1-2 onions, chopped
· 2 crushed garlic
· 8 oz / 250g button mushrooms, halved
· 2 tins cannellini beans, drained (or 30 oz / 850g fresh)
· 4 chopped tomatoes
· 4 Tbs Parmesan cheese or other cheese
1. Cook aubergines in boiling water for about 10 minutes, until tender. Drain. Cut lengthways and scoop out the flesh; finely chop it.
2. Fry onion, garlic, and aubergine in oil for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, beans, tomatoes and pepper to taste. Cook a further 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.
3. Place mixture in a casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese. Cook under grill for 5 minutes or so, or until cheese is golden.
4. Serve with peas and rice.
We don't eat aubergines enough in our home, and this was delicious! I used dried beans instead of tinned, and they weren't quite soft enough for everyone. Oops! Must remember to cook them longer next time.