Saturday, 7 September 2013

Week One: Broccoli and Sweetcorn Flan

Broccoli and Sweetcorn Flan
·        Pastry (home-made or store bought)
·        Butter
·        Flour
·        Milk
·        Broccoli, chopped small (frozen or fresh)
·        Sweetcorn (frozen / fresh / tinned)
·        Grated cheese
·        Salt & pepper to taste
200C oven

1.     Prepare pastry as directed. Line a flan tin with it, cover with greaseproof paper and weigh down with rice or wheat berries. Bake for 10 minutes, remove paper and weights, bake for further 10 minutes until crisp.
2.     Make a cheese sauce, with 1/3 cheese saved.
3.     Pre-cook broccoli and sweetcorn, stir into sauce.
4.     Spoon mixture into flan case, sprinkle with cheese, cook for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve with potatoes and carrots.

This dish is almost a dairy overload for me. I made the mistake of eating it before an evening choir practice, and I swear all the milk and cheese made singing harder for me! But anyway -- my children enjoyed this one because the flavours were simple and rather plain. My husband and I enjoy more spice to our foods, but we have to compromise at times...

No comments: