· 1 onion
· 2 celery, chopped
· 2 carrots, chopped
· 3 garlic, crushed
· 2 tins of kidney beans, drained (or equivalent in dried, cooked beans)
· 1 tin tomatoes
· 1 Tbs tomato puree
· 2 Tbs soy sauce
· 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1. Fry onion in oil until softened. Add celery, carrots, and garlic; fry 5 minutes.
2. Stir in beans, puree, soy sauce, tomatoes. Cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes.
3. Stir in parsley, pour into heatproof dish, sprinkle with cheese. Place under a hot grill until golden brown.
4. Serve with bread rolls.
This one was a big hit. There was something in it for everyone - people who didn't like the beans, people who did like the beans, etc. The only complaint was that I didn't add enough cheese on top! I think next time I will mix it into the dish first and then add more on top.