Saturday, 21 December 2013

The best Christmas present ever!

It just goes to show that everything can change in the blink of an eye with babies - as of Thursday, Rosie hasn't needed any more bottled milk!

Last week, I was giving her about 13 oz of bottled expressed milk each day, but starting from last Sunday her intake started reducing. She had 9 oz on Sunday and Monday, 8.5 oz on Tuesday, 4 oz on Wednesday and then nothing from then on! I tried to give her more, but she just wasn't interested. Usually, she would need a bottle of milk before 8am in the morning, but by 10.30am on Thursday she was still completely satisfied after her breastfeeds.

I've been keeping a close eye on her wet and dirty nappies, and her output has been completely normal. Rosie is doing great!

I spoke to a lactation consultant yesterday and she mentioned something about the "magic 10 weeks". Apparently a lot of infants with latch issues turn a corner at 10 weeks. Whatever it is, I'm happy about it!

Seriously. This is an amazing turn of events for me - I had accepted the possibility that I would be pumping and bottle feeding for the next four months, until she started solids. Even in my secret hopes, I didn't expect her to be strong enough to move off the bottles until the beginning of January.

So suddenly, without any of my input, Rosie is feeding straight from me all of the time. I am free to go out with her without planning for pumping sessions and bottles. I don't have to stress about my milk supply anymore either - I have plenty of it, especially now that the baby is driving my supply! I seem to have more than ever now.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Roxanne Morton said...

Woohoo! Hope you enjoy a very restful Christmas, and well done, very well done! Lots of love x